Monday, April 30, 2012

Fit at 50

Great news today from the doctor; I'm cleared to resume driving.  I'm considered 100% recovered from the small stroke I had on 15 February 2012.

Free to go where I want, when I want and to choose my mode of transportation. Moving forward at my own pace and on my own schedule is a great relief.

After some introspection I am able to say with confidence that I feel 10 years younger today than yesterday. You see, on February 15th I felt as though I had aged 20 years. A month later I felt 10 years younger since I had fully resumed all of my physical therapy exercise routines. I realized today that the extra 10 years I've been weighted down by came from explaining to everyone that I had had a stroke and needed a ride or some other assistance like picking up things at the store or mailing a package for me. The mantle of years was all in my head; my perception of myself, the image in my mind. Turns out it is true that you are only as old as you feel.

Living with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) all my life and using all of the assistive devices in my arsenal (wheelchairs, walker, canes, etc.) somehow didn't make me feel old. Saying "I had a stroke and am not cleared to drive yet." did make me feel old. Not helpless. Not needy. Just old. Now I can say with confidence "I had a small stroke at 50 and am fine now."

If you are thinking that I got in my van as soon as I got the OK and drove to Miglet's for a celebration cupcake you would be wrong. Well, partly wrong. I didn't go today. My plan for tomorrow is to drive myself to my acupuncture appointment in the morning before picking up a friend (one of my drivers) and go to Miglet's for lunch. Tomorrow, I'll be 12 again as I enjoy that cupcake.

Sleeping 7 hours straight without waking, a house full of flowers, a phone conversation with a friend...a beautiful day to enjoy.

Keep Moving Forward

No comments:

Post a Comment