Monday, March 5, 2012

Treasure

Being an independent sort of person makes it a challenge to ask others for help. I've learned some lessons on how to best to do this with dignity. I acknowledge that thinking "I don't want to be a bother" is flawed. Thinking about it instead as a social invitation has worked out really well. Since I generally feel fine and don't need assistance in the traditional sense of holding me up or doing things for me, I do need a ride, distraction or companionship. I've had the great fortune to spend true quality time with wonderful friends, neighbors and family members in the last couple of weeks instead of the quick check in via email or other less personal means in this digital age. What a treasure it is to give/receive a hug, to look someone in the eye, to hear someone tell their story. It is the connections we make that enrich us beyond material wealth.

This morning I walked with Maria. Maria is a frequent walker in our neighborhood usually seen with 12 year old black lab Willy. I was saddened to learn that Willy's health is failing due to a 'mass on his spleen' and no longer has any interest in walking with his people. Maria was ecstatic to be able to walk with Fred and I. We talked about health issues (canine & human) as we enjoyed Fred's antics. Maria introduced me to more people I've only seen in passing.

Thanks to friends like Maria, I'm back up to my pre-stroke walking time, distance, pace and frequency. My PT exercises are back up to pre-stroke levels with the exception of maximum weights for the free-weight portions. I was using 15 lb weights for 4 moves prior to February 15th. Now I'm at 5 lb weights and am expected to stop increasing it when I get to 10 lb weights in a couple of weeks.

Still no driving. Still no clue as to why it happened. Still wearing the cardiac event monitor. Still not staying still.

No comments:

Post a Comment